Many students embark on their choice of UCT GSB programme, intending to change or accelerate their current career path. The Career Centre assists the majority in securing formal employment in organisations where they can truly make a difference. Over the past three years, 76% of full-time MBA graduates have found employment in South Africa or abroad within 90 days of graduating. In addition, in the past, 10% have embarked on entrepreneurial ventures after commencing their studies.
The UCT GSB candidate
The GSB is globally recognised for its well-rounded programmes and emphasis on personal development as well as the resulting quality of its graduates. While each career journey is unique, certain core characteristics are sought by many respected recruiters today. The UCT GSB invests considerable time to define and develop these qualities in our students:
- Confidence in leadership roles and teamwork environments
- A well-developed EQ, sense of empathy and consideration of others
- A grounded understanding of African and other developing country contexts (the 2016 full-time class includes students from 18 countries, most of which are in emerging markets)
- Solid foundation skills in accounting, finance and other core business disciplines
- An emphasis on out-of-the-box problem solving and innovation, to function effectively in an increasingly complex world
- UCT's respected global brand (UCT is ranked the top University in Africa by the QS World University Rankings, the Times Higher Education World University Rankings, and the Academic Ranking of World Universities)
This reputation is enhanced by strong relationships with reputable business and other organisations, which in turn are managed by the Career Centre. The Career Centre team is dedicated to assisting GSB students in gaining access to the work experience and opportunities that will maximise their personal potential.