Bertha Centre for Social Innovation & Entrepreneurship
The Bertha Centre for Social Innovation and Entrepreneurship is the first academic centre in Africa dedicated to advancing social innovation and entrepreneurship. It was established as a specialised unit at the UCT Graduate School of Business in late 2011, in partnership with the Bertha Foundation, a family foundation that works with inspiring leaders who are catalysts for social and economic change.
Today the Centre is a dynamic space, with several programme areas in Advancing Social Innovation, Education Innovation, Inclusive Health Innovation, Innovative Finance and ScaleShift with a strong focus on South Africa and Africa.
The Centre also works closely with the Raymond Ackerman Academy of Entrepreneurial Development, and the MTN Solution Space which are also part of the GSB.
Some of the Centre’s highlights include:
- Awarded over R5 million in Bertha Scholarships to African students
- Uncovered and documented over 300 innovative models and solutions, and convened over 5,000 people in support of our mission
- Elevated Social Innovation & Entrepreneurship to one of three new strategic themes of the GSB
- Integrated social innovation into the MBA & MPhil core curriculum
- Presented with UCT’s Social Responsiveness Award in 2015.
- The Bertha Centre has been benchmarked in the top five globally for social impact in a report from the Bridgespan Group in 2017.
For more information on our work and core initiatives, please subscribe to our newsletter, or connect with us on social media platforms.
About the Bertha Foundation
The Bertha Foundation supports activists, storytellers and lawyers that are working to bring about social and economic justice, and human rights for all.
Bertha envisions a society in which activists build collective power, stories come from many different voices and law is used as a tool for justice.
While powerful on their own, Bertha has learned that - if given the resources to connect and collaborate - their combined power is much greater than the sum of its parts. Bertha creates and responds to opportunities for the network to work together and exchange strategies to amplify.