Welcome to the Bertha Centre for Social Innovation and Entrepreneurship (Bertha Centre) at the University of Cape Town Graduate School of Business (GSB).It was established in 2011 as the first academic centre in Africa dedicated to research, teaching, dialogue and support of social innovations that positively change and challenge rules, policies, technologies, structures, beliefs and institutions.
Today it’s an innovative and dynamic space with priority areas including:
- Local and civil-led solutions
- Private sector and public-private partnerships (PPP) in education, health, innovative financing mechanisms, poverty and inequality in Africa
- Involvement with the specialised unit, the Raymond Ackerman Academy of Entrepreneurial Development, hosted at the UCT GSB
The Centre's key activities can be found in the following focus areas:
- Bertha Scholarships: The Bertha Scholarship covers full or partial costs of the MBA programme at the UCT GSB for candidates committed to social innovation and entrepreneurship.
- MBA Social Innovation Lab: The SI Lab is an experiential, action-learning stream where students tackle pressing social and/or environmental challenges.
- Inclusive Innovation Studies: The programme creates an environment for multidisciplinary teams to find new and future-focused practical solutions for market or social challenges in Africa.
- Student Social Venture Programme: The SSVP aims to improve the participation and performance of student teams in international social business plan competitions.
- Education Innovation: The Centre for Education Innovations (CEI) aims to increase access to quality education for people from disadvantaged communities by identifying, analysing, and connecting non-state education innovations.
- Online Learning: Free for All is an online learning platform with a programme in entrepreneurial development for individuals wanting to complement work experience with an academic qualification.
- Healthcare Innovation: The Inclusive Healthcare Innovation Initiative (IHII) serves as a trans-disciplinary and cross-sectoral platform for thought leadership, capability building, research and development of inclusive, effective, and affordable health innovations.
- Innovative Financing: The Bertha Centre is currently working on developing Impact Bonds and other innovative financing mechanisms for South Africa. In addition, the Investing for Impact Barometer is a new annual survey and publication aiming to provide a snapshot of the nascent South African market and aims to expand coverage to the rest of Africa.