Admission to the Executive MBA is highly selective and enrolment is limited. The programme aims to develop a cadre of senior management professionals who have the conceptual facilities, cultural empathy and practical capabilities to build exceptional careers, organisations and nations. Candidates are assessed with this in mind.
To be considered for the GSB Executive MBA candidates need to:
- Have a minimum of 10-15 years work experience and a proven management track record in the public or private sector.
- Be fluent in English. Applicants whose mother tongue is not English will be required to produce a TOEFL certificate to verify fluency in English.
- Have completed a recognised tertiary degree. Candidates not meeting the tertiary degree requirement, but whom the School considers to be high potential based on other selection criteria, may be required to complete further assessments as determined by the School.
- GMAT test or the MCPA test.
Applicants are required to write the Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) and obtain a GMAT score of at least 550. If this is not achieved then an applicant may be asked to write the NBT. The GSB offers a five-day GMAT Preparation Course to help students prepare for the GMAT
As an alternative to the GMAT, applicants can complete the MCPA Assessment. This assessment provides an indication of the individual’s most suitable longer term fit with organisational complexity or work themes, and provides information about current and future capabilities.
Bookings for the MCPA can be made by visiting http://www.bioss.co.za and clicking on Assessment Bookings. Simply complete and submit the form after which you will then be contacted by Bioss to organise the MCPA. Results will be sent to the Graduate School of Business.
- Take the NBT test. Applicants writing MCPA are required to write the National Benchmark Test (NBT) and obtain an acceptable NBT score. This UCT-developed test provides additional insight into the candidate’s verbal and quantitative abilities, and is assessed in conjunction with the other indicators.
In addition to the above criteria all applicants will be required to take part in an interview and will be required to complete the Career Leader Self-Assessment. For more information please visit www.careerleader.com.
In certain circumstances applicants may be asked to undertake a bridging course prior to the programme.