- BSc, BEng (Mechanical/Aeronautical Engineering) 1965-1969. University of Stellenbosch. Awarded Tienie Louw Scholarship for further study in aeronautical engineering.
- MSc (Air Transport Engineering). Twelve months 1970-1971. Cranfield Institute of Technology, Bedfordshire, England. Joint first in class to share Air Corporation's Prize. Research paper entitled Cost benefit analysis in aviation safety.
- Parts A and B, and Professional Stage 1 of the Institution of Cost and Management Accountants. 1974-1976. Main subjects were financial and cost accounting, and economics. Study by correspondence.
- MBA 1977. University of Cape Town. Placed first in class. Elected an Old Mutual Scholar for high professional performance and outstanding achievement on the MBA programme. Citibank Prize for International Business. Technical report (thesis) entitled A Capital investment and disinvestment policy for a listed company, with a sample application.
- PhD 1986, University of Cape Town. Thesis entitled A key factors approach to productivity improvement. A theoretical model, including an industrial relations perspective, was developed. It was evaluated via an in-depth study of Toyota's manufacturing operations in Durban.
FULL-TIME / PART-TIME OR CONTRACT
AREAS OF ASSIGNED TEACHING RESPONSIBILITY
Manufacturing and Operations Management
NUMBER OF THESES / DISSERTATIONS / RESEARCH REPORTS SUPERVISED
On average, I supervise around 4 research reports each year. In career I have therefore supervised about 170 in total.
I am not currently supervising any registered PhD students. I am in serious conversation with two prospective candidates. I have had two students graduate in the past 5 years.
- I first taught an MBA class, as a contract part-timer, in 1980.
- I have taught full and part-time MBA classes each year since 1981.
- Since about 1991, I have taught executive courses for both specialist and general management purposes.
OTHER WORK EXPERIENCE
- Director of the manufacturing and operations management consultancy Competitive Capabilities International (Pty) Limited, with offices in South Africa, Australia, Singapore, Poland, UK and the USA. Have been personally involved in consulting to some of South Africa's leading manufacturers over the years.
- Director of the Manufacturing Roundtable, a research unit collaborating with and funded by industry partners. Members have included South African Breweries, Nampak, Bell Equipment, the Department of Trade and Industry and the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research. It was most active between 1992 and 2002.
- Host and General Chair of the Lean Summit Africa 2000 conference in Johannesburg in October 2000, featuring Lean experts such as Dan Jones and Mike Rother.
- Host and General Co-chair (with Professor Marty Starr of Rollins College, USA) of the Second International Conference of the Production and Operations Management Society, at the Graduate School of Business, University of Cape Town. June-July 1998.
- Organise and participate in the first "Research report-back day" of the Manufacturing Roundtable. May 1998.
- Member of the Manufacturing and Materials working group of the Foresight Project of the Department of Trade and Industry, 1998/9; elected through the process of 'co-nomination.'
- Referee for the International Journal of Operations & Production Management, a leading UK journal in the field, 1998.
- External examiner to PhD thesis of Sydney University of Technology, 1998.
- Organise and teach South Africa's first executive short course in the area of manufacturing strategy. March 1994.
- Organise and run the first two-day workshop of the Manufacturing Roundtable, March 1994.
- Initiate and participate in the "Best Practices Workshop" to explore industry extension services in South Africa, November 1994.
- Associate of the Global Manufacturing Research Group based at Seattle University, June 1994.
- Founding Director of the Manufacturing Roundtable. Associate of the Global Manufacturing Futures Project of Boston University, 1992.
- Have also taught on MBA programme at University of Stellenbosch and undertaken executive course teaching for the University of the Witwatersrand Faculty of Management (Graduate School of Business Administration), for UNISA School of Business Leadership, for Rhodes University, and for the Gordon Institute of Business Science of the University of Pretoria.
- Member of the S A Institute of Industrial Engineers and the South African Production and Inventory Control Society. Regular speaker at the annual conference of the latter institution.
- Founding Director of the School of Engineering Management, Engineering Faculty, University of Cape Town, from 1988 to 1991. Return to GSB as full professor in 1992.
- International study tours over the past several years have taken in activities in USA, Japan, UK, Germany, Australia, Singapore, Malaysia, India, San Salvador, and Mexico, among others.
- Initially on the staff of the GSB from 1981 to 1987. Promoted ad hominem to Associate Professor in 1987. During this period was visiting lecturer to the IMI (now IMD) in Switzerland (1983 to 1986).
- Earlier work experience included Irvin & Johnson Limited as a project engineer and operations manager, Ove Arup & Partners as a consulting engineer, Atlas Aircraft Corporation, and the S A Air Force.
- Member of the SA Institute of Industrial Engineers since about 1988.
- Member of the Production and Operations Management Society, based in Florida, USA. Board member from 1999 to 2001. Currently Vice President EuroAfrica.
- International Conference of the Production and Operations Management Society, Boston, USA. April 2006.
- GMAC Annual Industry Conference. Toronto. June 23-25 2005.
- Workshop - Performance and Risk Measurement: Operations, Logistics and Supply Chains. Bocconi University, Milan. December 8-10 2004.
- First Conference of POMS College of Service Operations - Operations Management in Services: Theory and Practice. December 3-4, 2004.
- 26th International Conference SAPICS, Cape Town, June 7-9 2004.
- GMAC Annual Industry Conference. Boston. June 17-19 2004.
- Second World Conference on Production and Operations Management, Cancun, Mexico. April-May 2004.
- International Conference of the Production and Operations Management Society, Savannah, Georgia. April International Conference of the Production and Operations Management Society, San Francisco, California, April 2002.
- 23rd International Conference of the South African Production and Inventory Control Society. Durban. June 2001.
- International Conference of the Production and Operations Management Society, Orlando, Florida, March-April 2001.
- Sixth International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Operations Management. Sao Paulo, Brazil. October-November 2000.
- Twenty-first International Conference of the South African Production and Inventory Control Society. Durban. May 1999.
- Tenth Annual Meeting of the Production and Operations Management Society. Charleston, USA. March1999.
- International Conference of the South African Production and Inventory Control Society. Cape Town. July 1998.
- Second International Meeting of the Production and Operations Management Society. Cape Town. June-July 1998.
- Ninth Annual Meeting of the Production and Operations Management Society. Santa Fe, USA. March1998.
- Conference of the Association for Small Group Activities. Johannesburg. May 1998.
- Production and Operations Management Society. Miami. April 1997.
- European Operations Management Association Manufacturing Strategies conference. London. June 1996.
- International conference of the Strategic Management Society. Mexico City. October 1995.
- Joint SAIEE/EIF conference - Electronic Manufacturing Techniques. Midrand, 27/28 July 1995.
- Manufacturing in South Africa (MANSA) conference, Cape Town, South Africa. August 1994.
- National Institute for Technology Leadership Conference: 'Building SA's Capacity for Global Competitiveness' held in Johannesburg, 9 and 10 August 1994.
- Conference on Materials Management & Inventory Control. Coimbatore, India. January 1994.
- Conference of the S A Institute of Industrial Engineers. September 1993.
- 15th International Conference of the S A Production and Inventory Control Society, Durban. June 1993.
- 1st Pan-African Productivity Assembly. Johannesburg. November 1992.
- S A Institute of Industrial Engineers. Sun City. August 1992.
- 14th International Conference of the S A Production and Inventory Control Society. Durban. June 1992.
- 6th national conference of the S A Institute of Industrial Engineers. Sun City. September 1991.
- International Conference of the Institute of Brewing (Central & Southern African Section), Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe. March 1991.
- National Conference of the South African Institute of Industrial Engineers. Somerset West. September 1990.
- 12th International Conference of the South African Production and Inventory Control Society. Durban. June 1990.
- Conference of the South African Institute of Industrial Engineers. Sun City. September 1989.
- International Conference of the S A Production and Inventory Control Society. Durban. June 1988.
- Second World Congress in Production and Inventory Control. Geneva. April 1987.
- 5th Annual International Conference of the S A Production and Inventory Control Society. Sun City. August 1983.
- Undertake executive course teaching and consulting for a wide range of organisations, including: Dorbyl, Coca Cola, Denel Aviation, Old Mutual, South African Breweries, Novartis, Sappi, Eskom, Nampak, Delta Motor Corporation, Dorbyl, ODT (Anglo American subsidiary in Zimbabwe).
- Am a director of the manufacturing and operations management consultancy Competitive Capabilities International (Pty) Limited, with offices in South Africa, Australia, Singapore, Poland, UK, and the USA.
- INSTITUTIONAL SERVICES PERFORMED
- Established the School of Engineering Management at UCT (1988-1992)
- Have served on a variety of University of Cape Town committees, including the Academic Planning Committee.
- Acted as external examiner to universities in UK, Mauritius and Zimbabwe (institutional examiner rather than subject examiner).
- Chairperson of the EMBA Advisory Board, University of Cape Town Graduate School of Business from 2000-2002.
- Have collaborated separately with Dan Jones (Cardiff University) and Marty Starr(Rollins College) to hold international conferences in South Africa in the past five years.
- Since 1998, has been the prime mover in the establishment of the South African branch of the Association for Overseas Technical Scholarship (AOTS), headquartered in Tokyo, Japan.
- From 1990 on have fostered professional links with Japan, UK, and USA in particular.
AWARDS, HONOURS AND RECOGNITIONS
Have only received scholarships and awards as a student (as indicated above).
PROFESSIONALLY RELATED COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
- Board member of the Small Enterprise Development Agency (seda) established by the Department of Trade and Industry. Appointed June 2006 for three-year term.
- Appointed in 2000 to the steering committee to set up manufacturing advisory centres in the Western Cape. Subsequently (2001) elected Vice Chair of the Board of the company, Capemac, to offer such services. Chairperson of the Board since October 2002.
- Appointed an 'associate' in the Manufacturing Policy Centre of the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research, February 2000.
- Advisor to the National Research Foundation on manufacturing issues.
- Was a member of the review panel for the National Advanced Manufacturing and Logistics Technology Strategy Report in 2001-2.
- Reviewer for the National Research Foundation, of proposals and individuals.
CONNECTIONS WITH THE CORPORATE WORLD
Only those already mentioned with respect to consulting, research and teaching. Establishment of the Manufacturing Roundtable required extensive consultation and engagement with industry. Director of Competitive Capabilities International (Australia) Pty Ltd, a consulting firm.
CONNECTIONS WITH THE INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY
I have and continue to travel extensively, as indicated in various places above. I am collaborating on a book on the implementation of operations strategy with co-authors David Upton (Harvard) and Mike Bourne (Cranfield). The consulting company of which I am a director is currently operating in thirty countries world wide. I am arranging an international conference at the Cape Town International Convention Centre with Dan Jones and Jim Womack (Lean gurus) for September 2007.
Founder member and Director of St Luke's Hospice, Cape Town. Still a member of the Section 21 company.