2015 Early Stage Investment: Find.Make.Grow.Realise
Entrepreneurs will learn how to identify and create winning opportunities, and how to position competitively for venture investment. Investors will learn what to look for in high potential early stage growth companies, and how to invest strategically.
This participative, case-study-driven programme is designed to provide delegates with a deep understanding of the high-growth investment process. Delegates with an interest in entrepreneurship and business building will develop practical skills in investment selection, due diligence, intellectual property protection, valuation principles and legal closing. They will learn to appreciate the balance between scaling an early-stage high-growth venture while managing the process through control mechanisms to ultimately realise the potential of the business. Delegates will gain access to various players in the Southern African entrepreneurial eco-system and obtain a number of investment- and draft legal templates.
The course is presented in partnership with the UCT GSB and leading Southern African growth equity fund manager/ advisor: Knife Capital. No prior exposure to finance or investment is necessary.
This programme is aimed at anyone with a vested interest in entrepreneurship and business building – Southern African startups, entrepreneurs and aspiring entrepreneurs, business owners, CxO’s of Small to medium-sized businesses, investment professionals, management consultants, research institutions, development funding institutions, board members of early-stage growth companies and angel investors.
- Acquire an understanding of the investment process in early-stage growth companies.
- Develop practical skills in investment selection, due diligence, intellectual property protection, valuation principles and legal closing.
- Gain the ability to engineer business growth while managing the process through financial, legal and governance control mechanisms.
- Obtain a number of investment- and draft legal templates on deal process, structuring and funding (Including: Business Plan Template, Pitching Slide Deck, Investment Term Sheet Elements, Due Diligence Checklist, Co. Dashboard Template, Draft Executive Employment Agreement, Draft Board Agenda, Data Room Action List and more).
- Networking with various players in the Southern African entrepreneurial eco-system.
- Gather insights on how to prepare your business for funding readiness.
- Leave with an understanding of how to realise the potential of a business.
- Results in a Certificate in Early-Stage Investments from the UCT GSB.
The Programme is presented in a 2-day interactive workshop, containing a balanced mixture of theory, discussion and examples based on case studies. Investment and legal templates will be made available as value-add and industry experts will participate as guest lecturers. There is also an optional networking dinner on the first night to facilitate in-depth course content discussions and forge working relationships.
The four half-day sessions are presented in the main investment themes:
- FIND: Finding Lucrative Early-Stage Investments (sources of funding; high-growth deal selection; the investor pitch)
- MAKE: The Investment Process (due diligence exercise; valuation principles; legal closure and key legal terms)
- GROW: Growth Strategies (strategies to scale a business; engineering growth; control mechanisms & corporate governance)
- REALISE: Realising Business Potential (realisation of business strategies; positioning a company for a potential investor/ strategic partner; expectations in an exit process)
8 - 9 July 2015 (Johannesburg)
28 - 29 September 2015 (Cape Town)
0860 UCT GSB or email@example.com.