2015 Early Stage Investment: Find.Make.Grow.Realise
High potential entrepreneurship is on the rise in Africa. This investment short course at the UCT GSB will help delegates with an interest in entrepreneurship and business building to identify and create winning opportunities and position themselves competitively for venture investment. Through active participation and case-study learning, delegates will gain a deep understanding of the high-growth investment process and develop practical skills in investment selection, due diligence, intellectual property protection, valuation principles and legal closing.
The programme is presented in a workshop format over four half-day sessions, containing a balance of theory, discussion and examples. Investment and legal templates will be made available as a value-add and industry experts will participate as guest lecturers. There is an optional networking dinner on the first night to facilitate in-depth discussions and forge working relationships.
The course covers the four key steps of the high-growth investment process:
- FIND: Finding lucrative early-stage investments (sources of funding; high-growth deal selection; the investor pitch).
- MAKE: The investment process (due diligence exercise; valuation principles; legal closure and key legal terms).
- GROW: Growth strategies (strategies to scale a business; engineering growth; control mechanisms and corporate governance).
- REALISE: Realising business potential (the realisation of business strategies; positioning a company for a potential investor/ strategic partner; expectations in an exit process).
No previous exposure to finance or investment is necessary. The course is presented in partnership with the UCT GSB and leading Southern African growth equity fund manager/ advisor: Knife Capital.
Is this course for me?
If you have a vested interest in entrepreneurship and building a business, or are a business owner, aspiring entrepreneur, CEO, investment professional, or a management consultant, this course will be of value. Research institutions, development funding institutions, board members of early-stage growth companies and angel investors will all find immense value in learning the art of early stage investment.
- An understanding of high-growth investment processes.
- Practical skills in investment selection, due diligence, intellectual property protection valuation principles and legal closing.
- The ability to manage the process through control mechanisms to extract the true potential of the business.
- The ability to engineer business growth using financial, legal and governance control mechanisms.
- Insight into how to prepare your business for funding readiness.
- Access to a network of key players in the South African entrepreneurial landscape.
- Access to a number of investment- and draft legal templates on deal process, structuring and funding (including: business plan template, pitching slide deck, investment term sheet elements, due diligence checklist, company dashboard template, draft executive employment agreement, draft board agenda, data room action list and more).
Course informationThis short investment course runs twice a year, once in Johannesburg and once in Cape Town. For more information please contact the Executive Education unit at the UCT Graduate School of Business on 0860 UCT GSB or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
19 - 20 August 2015 (Johannesburg)
28 - 29 September 2015 (Cape Town)
17 July 2015
21 August 2015