UCT GSB graduates have the opportunity to choose between a variety of positions, organisations and industries best suited to them as their career develops. While the responsibility to secure these positions ultimately rests with the student, the Career Centre is here to assist each step of the way.
All students have access to our unique careers tools, resources and services for the full duration of their studies at the UCT GSB and, after graduation, as alumni. The career services offering has been developed around three distinct components:
All programmes at UCT GSB provide exposure to a broad range of potential career directions. It is important for students to reflect and focus on their preferred industries, while playing to their strengths. The Career Centre supports this process by providing the following:
- Personal career assessment with a qualified careers coach who will be able to assist in identifying key strengths and interests based on each profile.
- Career selection advice based on personal characteristics, academic performance and individual goals/objectives as well as a thorough understanding of the current career landscape in South Africa and further afield.
The Career Centre team is also available to assist students in developing themselves (and their CV's), in order to market themselves when connecting with recruiters towards the end of their studies. Related offerings include:
- Career strategy workshops that focus on career life and work planning, many of which are facilitated by visiting career consultants and guest speakers from a variety of industries.
- Industry clubs, which are actively supported by the Career Centre in collaboration with Alumni, assist in developing competencies and networks around specific sectors such as management consulting.
- Personal branding, reviewing your CV and LinkedIn profile is offered in association with professionals who provide CV writing sessions and support, including one-to-one CV critique sessions during the second half of the academic year.
- Case workshops and training sessions are offered to students during the year, both in partnership with recruiters and through professional third party service providers; this service includes a growing number of mock interview programmes (general and industry specific).
Current GSB students and alumni benefit from access to the GSB Recruitment Programme and other prestigious organisations under the GSB banner and with the school's endorsement. The Career Centre team assists students in making the most of these connections through:
- Career fairs are annual engagements that bring together top recruiters (South African and global organisations) and students in a single, concentrated session, where information can be exchanged and one-to-one connections can be made.
- Job postings that take place throughout the year as positions become available within UCT GSB's wider network and beyond. These are sometimes sent to the class as a whole and sometimes to individual students who fit the required profile.
- Introduction service, which is also available throughout the year and can be initiated by students or recruiters.
- Internships that provide an excellent way for students and recent graduates to build relationships with organisations in which they are interested.
- Resumé book (an electronic publication) that is widely distributed to all organisations with which UCT GSB has a relationship. All GSB students are encouraged to submit their standardised profiles for inclusion.