The GSB encourages all alumni to stay involved with the school and re-invest in the next generation of students who are studying. You can stay involved by:
- attending the annual GSB Open Evenings and networking events throughout the year;
- by interviewing prospective students;
- by advising current students on their projects and by participating in industry talks;
- by providing job opportunities for students;
- by donating money to the Alumni Endowment Fund.
Have a new idea that you’d like to discuss? Contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org
The Alumni Endowment Fund
In 2005, the 1976 Class initiated The MBA Challenge to create a culture of "giving something back" at the GSB. At their 25th class reunion, past students challenged their fellow classmates from the MBA ’76 full-time class to raise money and then to subsequently challenge other MBA classes to do exactly the same. The class of 1976 raised over R200,000, and this amount was then exceeeded by the Class of 1966, who subsequently donated R252 806.79. In subsequent years many individuals have been generous and donated to the GSB. All monies raised have been channeled into a bursary fund. In 2012, an Alumni Endowment Fund has been established to invest the proceeds of the MBA Challenge and other fundraising efforts to protect the long term growth of the bursary fund.
The purpose of the Alumni Endowment Fund
The Alumni Endowment Fund will provide bursaries for South African students from previously disadvantaged backgrounds. By attracting the brightest – most diverse – students in South Africa, the UCT MBA’s reputation and standing will continue to grow. In order to distribute five bursaries a year, in perpetuity, an ambitious four year fundraising campaign is required to raise enough capital to fund the bursaries from the interest generated. This campaign will culminate with the school’s 50th birthday celebrations in 2016.
How can I make my donation?
As a member of the alumni, we encourage you to give back and we welcome all donations to the Alumni Endowment Fund. You can donate by:
- Making a donation securely online – monthly, annually or once-off with your credit card, debt order or EFT
- Using a more traditional method by downloading the pledge form
- Encouraging your company to donate or sponsor a bursary themselves
- Donating your time in kind to help our fundraising efforts
Can you be confident that your gift will be well managed?
Your donation will be made to the University of Cape Town and invested in the university’s Endowment Fund, earmarked for the GSB. If you are in the United Kingdom, the United States, Canada or Australia, you can donate tax efficiently through the local offices.